Saturday, July 2, 2011

OKC Spraygrounds: Harvest Hills Park

This week the girls and I enjoyed an afternoon trip to Harvest Hills Park
(8235 NW 104th, OKC).
This park has a cute sea dragon & whale tail-themed sprayground, which reminded the girls of Disney's nightly water show, a definite highlight from our recent visit to Orlando:

This is the same light show I used to watch on family trips as a kid--and the girls loved it every bit as much as I did (and still do!)

Anyway, the thematic tie-in made this park an immediate favorite.  :o)  

What I enjoyed best, from a parent perspective is the same-site location of both the dry playground and the sprayground.  Frequently, the girls like to shift back and forth between attractions--though not necessarily at the same time as one another.  This is the first sprayground we have visited where I can safely let them do that!  :o)
 Sunscreen time!  Can't forget the piggies!  :o)
I also noticed for the first time, OKC's "Play in the Park" program, which I have since seen in other areas.  This is such a nice idea and I was surprised to see that not many kids seemed to be taking part in it.  The city provides staff at various parks from June 13 - July 22nd and children over age 6 (or under age six, if a parent accompanies) can take part in supervised sport/craft/educational/performing arts activities and play from 8am - 4pm, M-F.  It is a free program that also provides breakfast and lunch at some locations.

On another note (kind of funny and sad), I have been trying to talk Matt into a sprayground visit.  He is not one for hanging out outside, but today he said his reason for not wanting to check one out was "safety-related"--after learning of the North Highland park shooting I discovered a few weeks ago.  I felt like he was perhaps blowing things a little out of proportion, as city parks during daytime hours are not usually synonymous with danger in my mind, so I did a Google search on our planned activity for today: a trip to the mall (girls received a *ton* of Build-a-Bear coupons that expire this month).  Turns out all 3 malls near us (Quail Springs, Crossroads, & Penn Square) have had shooting incidents over the past several years, whereas only one sprayground that I know of so far has.  Perspective.  LOL, still ended up going to the mall though!  :o)

Other City Spraygrounds we have visited include:
Earlywine Aquatic Center

No comments:

Post a Comment